Gums look great with the pinhole surgical technique in Alpharetta, GA
Amazing advances are being made in dentistry, contributing to less invasive treatment for more comfortable experiences and better outcomes. The pinhole surgical technique is a terrific example, and it is available at Atlanta Center for Dental Health in Alpharetta, GA.
Pinhole surgical technique before and after
Maybe you have heard the term “long in the tooth,” referring to someone in the later stages of life. Teeth do not actually grow longer as we age. However, when the gum tissue pulls back, it exposes root surfaces. That causes teeth to look longer and discolored (and become sensitive). It also makes the face look older.
Gum recession may be the result of:
- Genetics – Skimpy gum tissue can be a family trait.
- Age – Plump, youthful gums are packed with collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid. Over time, our bodies produce less of these elements, causing gum tissue to shrink.
- Bruxing – Excessive clenching or grinding of teeth (usually during sleep) aggravates nerves in roots. The chronic irritation may trigger gum recession.
- Aggressive hygiene – Rough flossing or brushing with a stiff toothbrush and too much pressure irritates gums.
- Gum disease – This serious bacterial attack first inflames gums, then causes them to shrink.
- Tobacco – People who smoke or use smokeless tobacco are more likely to have gum recession.
- Diabetes – Receding gums are a common symptom.
Request an Appointment
The pinhole technique repositions gum tissue, without invasive surgery. There is no cutting or sutures and only local anesthetic is needed. Tiny access points heal virtually overnight. Improvement in the appearance of the smile is immediate. Plus, the technique stimulates internal collagen production for continued improvement.