Invisalign® Clear Aligners in Alpharetta, GA
Advantages of the Invisalign system include:
- Barely-there look. Your oral health is your concern, and your quest for a straighter smile does not have to be obvious with metal braces. With Invisalign, your self-image remains intact and is completely in your control.
- Oral health. Because aligners are removable, treatment does not increase the risk of tooth decay or other issues. Teeth can be brushed and flossed without braces getting in the way, allowing you to enjoy optimal oral health throughout your treatment process.
- Comfort. The smoothness and flexibility of Invisalign aligners lends to a gentler, more comfortable smile transformation.
- Dining convenience. With braces that are bonded to teeth, patients must carefully watch what they eat. Invisalign aligners are removed for meals, so you can continue eating all the foods you love.
- Protection from teeth grinding. Most people clench or grind to some degree while they sleep; some do it in excess. This can cause undue wear on teeth. Aligners, worn at night, can help to alleviate the stress that is caused when clenching or grinding occurs.
Smile GalleryActual images of patients
How the Invisalign system straightens teeth
The principles of Invisalign are the same that apply to braces. Teeth are gradually moved by the controlled application of force. The difference is that Invisalign aligners are made of flexible, clear plastic, not metal.
Invisalign for teens
One of the improvements that has been made to the Invisalign system is the design of a model specifically for teens. This system features what are called “eruption tabs,” small areas in which space is left open for molars that are still growing in. Teens also benefit from “compliance indicators” that enable teens, their parents, and Dr. Hepler to ensure proper wear. Compliance indicators fade as aligners are worn and they facilitate responsible use that leads to successful alignment and a beautiful smile.
Oral hygiene during treatment
As mentioned, the removable aspect of Invisalign is one of the biggest advantages of this care. You have the ability to take the best possible care of your teeth and gums throughout your orthodontic treatment so please do not take oral hygiene lightly! If food debris is not sufficiently removed after meals and snacks, it becomes trapped between aligners and teeth. Failing to properly brush and floss as recommended will put you at risk for cavities and gum disease. In addition to brushing and flossing teeth, it is important to care for aligners through gentle brushing and rinsing under lukewarm water.
Invisalign is different from braces in the way that teeth are straightened. What remains important is your commitment to follow-up. The periodontal ligament will pull against newly straightened teeth if retainers are not worn as directed after the completion of direct orthodontic treatment. Retainers are the best way to protect the alignment of your smile and the investment you have made into it.